I made Panfried Rice Noodles this week! They turned out okay…definitely not as good as I was hoping. But okay is good, right?
I wasn’t sure if I had the right kind of noodles. I think I did, but I’m not sure, because there was no picture to reference to. I suppose I should have googled it or something. But it’s too late now, I suppose. Next time I’m not sure about an ingredient, I really need to do this. Oh, and I didn’t fry the noodles correctly. I just started frying the noodles, and totally didn’t see the part about the water until I was typing up the recipe. Oops!
I ended up tossing the vegetables and the noodles together, because the noodles were a bit of a mess at the end. But they still tasted okay. It’s not as flavorful as I was expecting, but I think tossing the noodles with the vegetables and sauce made it more interesting than it would have been otherwise. Hopefully I’ll do some baking this weekend, so I should have some pictures on Monday! Enjoy the recipe!
Panfried Rice Noodles
Adapted from Into The Vietnamese Kitchen
- 1/3 pound wide dried flat rice noodles
- 6 tablespoons canola or other neutral oil
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 small carrot
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 1 1/2 tablespoons water
For Flavoring Sauce:
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3/4 cup warm water
- Cook the rice noodles in a large pot of boiling water for 3 or 4 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.
- Transfer noodles to a large plate or baking dish and toss with 1.2 teaspoon of salt and 1 1/2 teaspoons of oil. Spread out noodles to dry and cool.
- Combine sugar, oyster sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce and waterand stir to dissolve sugar. Set aside.
- Bring a saucepan to a rolling boil, and add the peas and carrot. Cook for 2 minutes, or until crisp. Drain the veggies, rinse with cold water and drain. Set aside.
- To panfry the noodles, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the noodles and spread out into a flat pancake. Add the water, cover, and cook for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Uncover, panfry the noodles for 2 or 3 minutes, or until slightly crispy and barely golden. Turn the noodles over, add 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, and fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Slide the finished noodles onto a large serving plate. Cut into 6 to 8 wedges.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium high heat. Add the peas and carrot to the pan, and fry for about 1 minute. Stir the flavoring sauce, add to the pan, and let it bubble.
- Stir cornstarch mixture, add to the pan, and stir for 30 seconds. Or until the sauce is smooth and thick. Pour over noodles, and sprinkle with pepper.