There is nothing better than a cupcake. I love cupcakes because they’re bite-sized pieces of cake, and they are so much easier to eat, serve and store than cake.
Cupcakes seem like the perfect summer treat. I’m not sure why, but all of a sudden, they make me think of summer. In my case, that is pretty much every single day of the year, so why this only occurred to me, I don’t know.
I love how simple this recipe is. Otherwise, they wouldn’t be simple vanilla cupcakes, right? It should be no surprise that I needed to change the recipe a little, but that’s only because I didn’t realize the recipe called for vanilla beans. I used vanilla extract instead of the vanilla bean, and while I’m not sure if I want to buy vanilla beans for future use, the cupcakes. These are so good, and they’re the perfect shade of yellow, with the right amount of vanilla.
I ended up using a peanut butter cream cheese frosting (found in the cookbook), because I didn’t have all of the ingredients for the best chocolate buttercream frosting. I think I’ll go with that next time I make these. I really do recommend the Joy the Baker cookbook. The more I bake from it, the more I love it. I think I shall be making Sausage with Garlic and Lentils this week too, and that will be posted either tomorrow or on Saturday! Enjoy the cupcakes!
Simple Vanilla Cupcakes
Slightly Adapted from The Joy The Baker Cookbook
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (or 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and 1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped out)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 35o degrees. Line a 12-cup cupcake pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, or 3 to 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after adding each egg.
- Beat in the vanilla extract (and vanilla beans, if using) until incorporated well.
- Add half of the flour and beat (on low speed) until almost incorporated.
- Add the milk and blend.
- Add the rest of the flour and beat until almost incorporated.
- Finish incorporating the ingredients with a spatula. Divide the batter amongst the liners and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Cool and frost with your favorite frosting!